American Sign Language 101 (Natalie)
This class will begin on Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.-7:45 p.m. EST, and meet consecutively for 15 weeks straight.
March 9, 16, 23, 30, April 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11, 18, 25, June 1, 8, & 15
Have you ever wanted to learn a new language but didn’t know where to begin? Well, let me help you achieve your dream with American Sign Language! This 15-week course will allow you, the student, to learn, practice, and work towards being able to converse in Sign Language with deaf and hard of hearing people. You never know when you will use or need it and it definitely has great benefits for those that do learn.
The class will be an involved lecture that allows you, the student to participate during it. Questions will be asked during the review.
During each class, we will review material from the previous week. Then we will go over the new topic and review it before the class is done.
During the week, there will be fingerspelling words that you, the student can practice along with other types of signs to work on memorizing.
I will be teaching through the book, Signing Made Easy by Rod Butterworth.
Here is a detailed list of what we will be studying each week:
- Week 1: The Alphabet, and Numbers from 0-10
- Week 2: Hand Shapes, Numbers 11-20, the History of ASL
- Week 3: Basic Components of ASL, the Ear, and some Tips for Fingerspelling Practice
- Week 4: Family and Social Life Signs
- Week 5: Work and Careers
- Week 6: Food
- Week 7: Travel and Holidays
- Week 8: Sports and Recreation
- Week 9: Seasons, Time, and Weather
- Week 10: Emotions
- Week 11: Money and Shopping
- Week 12: Education
- Week 13: Health and Emergencies
- Week 14: Religion
- Week 15: Animals and Nature
I cannot wait to meet you! See you soon.
The dates that classes will be held are as follows:
March 9, 16, 23, 30
April 6, 13, 20, 27
May 4, 11, 18, 25
June 1, 8, & 15.
Every Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. – 7:40 p.m. EST